Are you free next weekend and want to learn to cut dovetails – and have a great time doing it? Due to an injury, one of the six students (low teacher-to-student ratio!) for next weekend’s Dovetailed Silverware Tray Class has to postpone, so I’ve an opening. The class runs 9 a.m.-5 p.m. June 25-26, at the Lost Art Press shop, 837 Willard St., Covington, Ky.
The stock for this opening is cherry, lovingly chosen and prepared by me (and with only a single splinter suffered in the process – a new record!)
- Dovetail layout using dividers
- How to use a backsaw to saw to a line
- How to wield a coping or fret saw
- How to pare and chop to a line with a chisel
- Strategies for transferring the tails to the pin board
- Techniques for fitting the joint
- How to lay out then cut and fair the handles (both the hand holds and the curved top edge)
- How to smooth-plane your surfaces
- How to use cut nails (to secure the bottom board)
- And of course, how to put it all together (and why I recommend liquid hide glue).